Saturday 21 June 2008

Oh my aching muscles


Ouch. Today I Raced for my Life. No really, it actually felt as if I was going to die at one point. I figured that as I was so pregnant last time I did it (see pic!), this time would be a cynch. Ok so I am probably carrying a bit of extra weight which didn't help. But my nice friend Nicola promised to buddy up with me as we set off, to keep the morale up. I am sure she only chose me so she would look extra gorgeous and skinny, not that she needed to mind you! At 1k as I struggled to speak through my heavy breathing she chirpily informed me that she does aerobics 4 times a week and power walks for arond 30 mins per day. Yikes I thought, why was it that I didn't train again? Well fair dos to her as she stuck by me and my semi jog right the way round until I ordered her to run free for the last 500m after which she zoomed off with her head held high. I was just about to give up and lie under a tree when I spotted Jason and his oh-so manly rainbow motif umbrella waving at me from across the field. So I picked my feet up and gave it all I had, which admittedly wasn't very much at all by that point. I figured the faster I ran the less actual time I would have left to endure this hell hole. Anyway my final time was 41 minutes which I was really pleased with as it was a personal best for me! And even better news, I managed to raise around £80 for Cancer Research which I did in memory of my Uncle Ray (RIP).

Next year I am wearing Eleanor for security. Against the people wot make me run.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

You did bloody amazing!