Saturday 19 July 2008

OK so I finally succumbed

...and bought meself my very first pair of crocs! I was firmly on the "ugh they are ugly" side of the fence for a long time but I bought some primark specials (ie copies at £4) a couple of months ago and had to admit they were quite comfy. But of course I said to myself I would just wear them around the house. Oh ok maybe out and about when in my scruffs. And go on then I would put them with jeans and a flowery top for the casual without trying too hard look. And I guess at work no-one would see them under my desk, so they'd do if I was in a hurry.

Anyway today I promised my step daughter a little trip to the shops to get her some bits for summer for our house. We braved Primark and got her a few nice clothes, some essentials and some shoes, and a few things fell into my basket from the ladieswear section by accident. I was smitten by a retro looking mac in teal with a little print all over, only I couldn't try it on as I had Eleanor wrapped. Sadly it is going back as it makes me look like Jeff Capes in drag. They had some lovely little dainty ballet pumps at £4 a pair, and I couldn't choose, so bought three colours! I got some other bits too and I am very pleased to announce that I am officially a 14 waist again (we won't talk about the top half).

I have also come to the realisation that my gorgeous sandals are ready for the bin and had decided to buy some replacements from a proper shop, ie not Primark. I tried on loads in Clarks but couldn't get away from the Hush Puppy look which although comfy isn't really me. The trendy shops like Faith were no good for me either as their ranges are either wafer thin on the sole or huge and wedgy, neither of which is much good for babywearing. I moved swiftly past the Birkies with a little sniff, because I can't wear them due to tres dodgy alien like toes.

So I was about to throw in the towel as we had traipsed round Manchester all day with THREE full primark bags, but I thought I should pop in Next to see if they had any baby socks. I cringed as I went through the doors as I realised today was 5am Summer Sale Madness in there, but resolved to march head first straight to the baby department. Well ok, I suppose I could have a quick glance at the shoes...

And there they were. Winking at my tired feet across the crowded store. Genuine Maryjane style crocs in grape. Comfort? Check. Trendy-ish? Check. Non-old-lady style? Check. Colour not boring black? Check. Adaptable to many outfits? Check. Price? £15- you betcha! Check, check, checkout!

So yes, I who guffawed at those plastic clog footed, am now the proud owner of a genuine pair. And the new slippers I bought in Primark? Still in the bag!

No comments: