Saturday 13 September 2008

6 week hols part 3- eh, calm down it's only a Yellow Duckmarine





We managed to fit in a last minute summer holidays day out to Liverpool, somewhere I have a realy fondness for due to being involved with English Heritage which was in turn involved with a lot of the World Heritage Site enscription, Capital of Culture Stuff and much more. The region had it's own sub-group, the aptly named HELP project (Historic Environment of Liverpool Project). I learnt so much about the place from my colleagues and so I thought it was about time I had a proper visit, other than for work or shopping.



We had a brilliant time! We went to the Tate after moseying round the Albert Dock for a while (I had to laugh when my friend informed her daughter that this was where This Morning is filmed- she didn't know it had transferred to London nowadays!). I liked the Picassos especially, but I wasn't sure about the piece of modern art which was a flourescent tube penetrating a mattress adorned with wire coat hangers and light bulbs. There was a great art space for the kids though and we hung out there for a good hour.











We then went for a ride on the Yellow Duckmarine- an amphibious vehicle which takes you on a tour of the city and then splashes into the Mersey via the Dock. We saw all the sights, Paddy's Wigwam (also known as the Roman Catholic Cathedral), the Chinese Arch, The Ropewalks area, The Liver Birds and the new Beatles hotel (where the tour guide joked that although most rooms were £500 a night, you could have the Ringo one for a fiver). The kids really loved it and although it was a bit pricey you were on the vehicle for a whole hour and the guys on there made it really fun. You can see the reflection of it is this pic:












































We were sadly too late to visit the Firefighters' Olympics which were being held at the Echo Arena that day. As you know I am a huge lover of sports and it had nothing whatsoever to do with men in uniform showing off their hose skills.


We rounded off the day with a drink in the Beatles Story Museum cafe. I could've stayed all day and was like a giddy child looking at all the memorabilia in the gift shop. Amy bought a cool Yellow Submarine design writing set, meanwhile I was coveting a gorgeous bag which I may have to order online.

I already want to go again! Next time we will look round the Protestant Cathedral which was immense and maybe do the Maritime Museum. Reckon I will schedule it for the next Firefighters' event.

No comments: